The journey to Thailand

TL;DR: it was long.

It took three plane rides and about 27 hours to get to my hostel in Bangkok from Pearson. The first one to Chicago was only a few hours and had the best thing happen: one of the seats in my row was empty. Except the guy in the middle seemed to instantly fall asleep and didn't move over, so it was almost worse than having someone sitting in it. I was more upset at this than I should have been, probably because he was also wearing a George Costanza gortex jacket and hogging the arm rest. Bastard. I had a pretty tight connection in Chicago - about an hour and 15 minutes. The lady who checked my passport at the gate seemed impressed that I not only made the connection (she asked me if I had to run to get to the gate), but also that I had time to snag a personal deep dish pizza from the food court at O'Hare. I think the people around me on the plane hated me for the first 5 minutes as I scarfed it down. Worth it.

I was scared for the 13 hour flight to Tokyo because both that flight and the flight to Chicago were with United, and the Chicago flight was not the most comfortable (gortex guy notwithstanding). The Tokyo flight was pretty fance, though - lots of leg room and just overall spaciousness, and a personal TV that had free movies instead of the endless ads that were being played on the Chicago plane. I slept off and on for the first half of the flight and then watched movies for the rest. I somehow only got up to pee once, which was concerning, but I felt bad because there was a delightful tiny Japanese lady sleeping next to me and I didn't want to wake her. My body started to get confused at what day and time it was, but I think the flight crew was as well: they wished everyone "good morning" and served breakfast at 1am Toronto time, 3pm Tokyo time, neither of which made any sense. Still ate the eggs, though. Verdict: not half bad!

The 7 hour flight to Bangkok was pretty uneventful. I had something called "chicken hamburger steak" for my meal. Had one bite of it and decided I would subsist on the plain pasta and veggies. Decided not to sample the container of cold cut ham and mayo, or suspicious pink cake. I fell asleep by accident watching Edge of Tomorrow. I was trying to stay awake so I could pass out when I got to the hostel and hopefully adjust to the time difference better. I was watching Edge of Tomorrow for the fifth time because Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was so censored it was distracting. What the fudge?

I finally arrived at my hostel around 1:30am Bangkok time. The cab driver tried to scam me into paying a flat fee instead of going by the meter, but I didn't fall for it. He probably overcharged me for the airport fee. but he dropped me off at the door even though it meant he had to wait 10 minutes for the street cleaning truck to slowly make its way down my hostel's road, so I figured he deserved the extra few baht anyway. I was awake in bed for a bit because of my unintentional nap, but I finally fell asleep around 3am, eager to start my time in Asia the next day.

Comments

  1. Hello, Cameron!..Yes, big fan of the blog here...quick question: what does "TL;DR" mean, exactly?
    All the best!
    Your chum,
    Mac
    p.s. What became of my toothpaste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://media.giphy.com/media/vmia1LpwoLe48/giphy.gif

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life at Suan Mokkh

Animals being jerks

The Ha Giang loop