An otter home

When I remember it now, it seems like everything happened fast. I only remember little tidbits, truth be told. But when I was living it, when I thought I was going to die, time seemed to tick by so slowly.

It began like any other day. I awoke with the sun, but it felt later than usual. I hoped that meant that there would still be plenty of breakfast left. There was no one else around - they must already be at the water. I scurried down there, but there was no one around. Where were they? I wondered, not thinking much of it. I was glad to scavenge some food after getting such a late start to the day - there hadn't been much around yesterday. I was so busy stuffing my face that I didn't notice the smell at first, but after a few moments I was filled with a sense of dread as I realized what it was. Blood. Nearby.

Things get blurry after that. Barred teeth. Sharp claws. Growls. I took off as fast as my feet could carry me. I ran and swam. I hoped everyone else got away, but I feared the worst. I ran and swam some more. I outsmarted it, whatever it was, or I just made it grow impatient enough to give up on such a small prize. But when it left, and I had time to catch my breath, I realized that the trees weren't familiar here, and I left the water behind a long time ago. I tried to call, but it was no use. No one answered. I was hopelessly lost, and too young to find my way back home. I did what I could to survive, but I could not adapt fast enough. I couldn't find much food here, and I was getting weaker by the day. After what seemed like an eternity, I remember finally going to sleep one day, knowing I wouldn't wake up.

Then, a hand. I just wanted to go peacefully. But it was soft and gentle. Maybe even friendly. It didn't matter - I was too weak to oppose whatever it was, if its intent was malicious. I was barely conscious, but aware enough to soon realize that it wasn't going to hurt me. Soon, there was water, and then food. I was being taken somewhere. Back home, maybe. Or to meet Mother and Father, and my brothers and sisters, wherever they ended up.

It turns out, it was neither. It was to a strange new place, surrounded by strange new friends. I had seen them a few times before, and Mother taught me to be wary of them, for their intentions were always unclear. Humans, she called them. I am not sure if all their kin are my friends, but I know that these ones are. They make sure that I have food and water everyday, and there's a place to swim nearby. There are cats here, too, but they are afraid of me. I don't know why. Sometimes the humans swim in the water with me, but mostly they just sit and lay around it, drinking from glass bottles and listening to music. Most of them still frighten me, but I like the ones with beards the best.

I don't know how I came to be here, or why I was chosen to be rescued. I don't know where Mother and Father are, or if I'll ever see them again. I don't know how far away I am from home, or what lies beyond the walls here. I don't know if I'll ever see anything other than this place for the rest of my life. But I do know that, at least for now, this is home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life at Suan Mokkh

Animals being jerks

The Ha Giang loop